Arrangement of the Archive of the University of Liverpool
The Archive of the University of Liverpool contains records recording the history of the University from its beginnings as University College through to the present day.
The University Archives are arranged to reflect the record producing departments and functions of the University. The records are split into fourteen main areas: Foundation and charters; Court; Council; Senate; Guild of Students; Convocation; Administration; Faculties; Staff papers; Graduate (Alumni) papers; Halls of Residence; University-Affiliated Institutions; University Related Institutions and Organisations; Deposited papers of Benefactors and Council members. Within these divisions, the records have been sub-divided as appropriate and according to the University's organisation, as set out in the University Calendar.
There are six broad categories of records:
- Records of the Court, Council and Senate of the University include: minutes and agenda papers of their Committees.
- Records of Faculties Schools and Departments, these are arranged by Faculty and then subdivided into Schools and Departments. These records can include: papers on the administration of the Faculties/Departments and material relating to the staff and students of Departments and Faculties.
- Administrative Records of the University: records relating to the running and upkeep of the University, these include the records of the Vice-Chancellor and the Registrar, in relation to their roles as the chief administrative officers in the University. The administrative records of the University are arranged according to the different Administrative Departments.
- Records of Staff and Graduates, this series comprises papers of former members of staff and students of the University, and includes material such as lecture notes, teaching and research material and photographs.
- Records of the Guild of Students, this includes minutes of committees, copies of publications and material relating to student societies.
- Records of Affiliated and Related Institutions.
The diagram below represents how the University Archive has been arranged in accordance with the organisation of the University. Click on any of the links within the diagram and they will take you to the Archive catalogue for the section you have chosen.
- Foundation and Charters
- Halls of Residence
- Guild of Students
- Affiliated Institutions
- Related Institutions
- Staff Papers
- Graduate Papers