British Romany families
The Gypsy Lore Society Archive holds the papers of Revd George Hall (1863-1918) and Eric Otto Winstedt (1880-1955), including their genealogical research for the Journal of the GLS.
George Hall was rector of the parish of Ruckland, Lincolnshire and a Romani speaker who claimed, "I can generally tell any gipsy whom I meet who his grandfather was"; his research was chiefly based on information from the Gypsy families he met whilst travelling.
E.O. Winstedt, based in Oxford, compiled a 'register of Gypsy names' in the 1920s, with information from local parish registers.
Sources for Romany family history research
- The Romany & Traveller Family History Society
- Sharon Sillers Floate (1999) My Ancestors were Gypsies (London: Society of Genealogists)
- Alan McGowan (1998) On the Gypsy Trail: sources for the family history of Gypsies (Sussex: R&TFHS)
Other published sources
- Jarman, Eldra & Jarman, A O H (1991) The Welsh Gypsies: the children of Abram Wood
- Boswell, Silvester Gordon and Seymour, John (1973) The Book of Boswell: autobiography of a Gypsy
- Wood, Manfri Frederick (1973) In the life of a Romany Gypsy
- Fraser, Angus (1970) 'Herons, Bosses and Boswells in the 1820s' in Journal of the Gypsy Lore Society (3rd series), 49, (3-4), p152
- George Hall (1915) The Gypsy's parson - his experience and adventures
- Winstedt, E O (1931) 'The Wood family 1: early records' in JGLS (3rd series) X (4), 1931, pp171-187
- Sampson, John (1932) 'The Wood family (part 2)' in JGLS (3rd series) XI (1), 1932, pp56-71
- Sampson, John (1933) 'The Wood family (part 3)' in JGLS (3rd series) XII (4), 1933, pp196-205
- Sampson, John (1934) 'The Wood family (part 4)' in JGLS(3rd series) XIII (4), 1934, pp190-200
- Winstedt, E O (1940) 'Hearn and Ayres' in JGLS (3rd series) XXIII (3-4), July-October 1944, pp125-126
- Hall, George (1914) 'Preface to the Heron pedigree' in JGLS (New series) VIII part 2, pp81-87